I listen to Christian radio sometimes while I’m driving. I’m not too big on Contemporary Christian Music, but I do enjoy some of the worship and praise songs that my local station plays on occasion; occasion being the key word, there. Most times, I hear self-absorbed, self-centered music with a few God and Jesus lyrics thrown in for good measure.
Because our culture has been on an ever spiraling decline of selfishness the church has seemed to follow suit. With a large majority of churches now catering sermons about self-help and improving your life in general, it didn’t take too long for Christian music to pick up the mantle. I’m certainly not accusing all Christian artists of being plagued with the self-help mentality, but by and large a good number of songs reflect the current trend of our culture.
For example, just on the way home today I heard song with the lyrics (I’m paraphrasing) that talked about trusting God because, “what else do you have to loose; you were made for something more.” Of course, there is nothing maniacal at all with those words. But I still have a problem with it. A HUGE problem!
My problem is that the gospel has been reduced to Jesus dying simply to fulfill God’s plan for your life. Since the majority of songs that I hear reflect this same thing it is no surprise that many Christians have bought into this lie! I am sorry to inform you, dear brothers and sisters in Christ, but Jesus did not die fulfill God’s wonderful plan for your life.
Jesus did not die to heal your broken heart because your boyfriend or girlfriend broke up with you.
Jesus did not die to give you a second shot at fulfilling your dreams.
Jesus did not die to give you better self-esteem.
Jesus did not die so that you could pursue a dream of becoming the next American idol.
Jesus died for a specific purpose. What was it? Scripture tells us that:
- Jesus died to satisfy the wrath of God due to His elect people (Isa 53:5, 10, 1John 2:2)
- Jesus died to demonstrate the justice of God in punishing sin and imputing righteousness to the undeserving (Rom 3:21-26)
- Jesus died to save His own people from their sin (Mt 1:21)
- Jesus died fulfill the Law for sinners because it was impossible for us to meet the demands ourselves (Gal 3:10-14)
- Jesus died to show His incomparable love to humanity (Eph 2:1-9)
- Jesus died to to make His people His workmanship (Eph 2:10)
- Jesus died to reconcile sinners to God (Rom 5:10)
- Jesus died to present His people as holy and blameless unto the Father (Jude 24-25)